Monday, January 25, 2010

First Trip of the Year


Hey Everyone,

This weekend I went on my first backpacking trip of the year. My venture crew and I headed to Uwharrie National Forest for our first hike together. Temperatures where mild compared to the 20's we have been experiencing, and we even managed to slip out just before the heavy rain fell. Although it wasn't a long hike, it was one of the more interesting trips I have taken. Menu choices are always fun to see, and there was no shortage of interesting meals. Now that the first trip is under our belts its time to hit the gears lists and start to shave some pounds. I hope to get everyone to around a fifteen pound base pack weight.

I have some really cool ideas for gear this year. I also have seen some new things that have come out that may make it into my pack. I think this is going to be a great year. I hope to be under nine pounds soon so keep checking in to see what I come up with.

See you on the trail,
Lance

5 comments:

  1. "Venture Crew." Gotta get me one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Izzy,

    Check out your local Boy Scouts of America council and/or district. You may already have a venture crew nearby. You can become an adult advisor and not only get to do a buch of high adventure stuff, but also be a good role model.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they accept non-boyscouts? I never was a scout, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Izzy,

    Yeah, you dont need to have been a scout. You can join as an adult leader. I was asked to join by a unit and most guys are someones dad but they will take anyone that is interested. The thing is that its nice to have younger leaders because the boys can relate and look up to you because there is not the age gap. Im sure that with your knowledge and skills that any unit would be gald to have you.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came back to visit your blog. My uncle (he's closer to my age than my dad's) and I hiked the Uwharrie Trail in early January 1976. We did either 2 or 3 nights and saw only one other person on the trail (which hadn't really been completed yet and had just been open). It was very cold, down around zero at night, but we had a good time. We were both in college and were hiking before the semester started.

    ReplyDelete